Troy A. Smith, Attorney at Law, PC, focuses his legal practice in the area of Criminal Defense in the State of New York, Federal Courts and all Military Courts. With more than 25 years of litigation and appellate experience as both a former New York City homicide prosecutor and a criminal defense counsel in the United States Army, Mr. Smith has served as lead counsel on more than one hundred trials on charges to include murder, manslaughter, vehicular homicides, armed robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, drug distribution, rape, child molestation, child pornography, rape and aggravated sexual offenses, grand larceny, embezzlement and fraud on the United States Government. Mr. Smith has also served as lead appellate counsel on more than one hundred military criminal appeals, to include the death penalty case of United States v. Kreutzer.
While working as an Army JAG Criminal Defense Attorney, an accomplished military trial judge, in dubbing Attorney Smith the unofficial “Acquittal King“, commented that Troy A. Smith had the highest acquittal rate that he had ever observed in his more than 20 years in the Army and possibly the highest acquittal rate in the history of the Army JAG Corps.
Mr. Smith has represented hundreds of individuals at all military administrative proceedings to include: Courts-Martial, Administrative Separation Boards;Discharge Review Boards;Boards for Correction of Military Records; Physical and Medical Evaluation Boards; Promotion Review Boards; United States Military Academy Misconduct and Honor Boards; Due Process Residency Termination Hearings for military doctors and; Flight Evaluation Boards. Troy Smith served as a Military Judge where he presided over felony level Courts-Martial offenses in the United States Army.
Troy Smith recently appeared on the “Richard French Live” show several times to discuss and analyze the Trayvon Martin shooting by George Zimmerman case. (View Here). Previously he was interviewed by CBS News in New York where he was asked to provide his legal expertise on the murder trial of the decade, Casey Anthony, the mother acquitted of murdering her 2 year old daughter
AREAS OF PRACTICE:
- Criminal Defense Matters in New York State, Federal and Military Courts
- Military Administrative Actions
- Veterans Benefits
- New York, 1993
- United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, 1997
- United States Army Court of Criminal Appeals, 1997
- United States Supreme Court, 1997
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York 2011
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York 2011
- Quinnipiac University School of Law, Hamden, CT, 1993 Juris Doctor
- State University of New York at Albany, Albany, NY 1990 B.A.
- 2011 – Litigating the “False Confession” Defense in New York State Courts- Bronx County Bar Association
- 2010 – The Art of Voir Dire at Court-Martial – U.S. Army Trial Defense Service
- 2008 and 2009 – Litigating the “False Confession” Defense- U.S. Army Trial Defense Service
- Law Office Affiliations Troy A. Smith, Attorney at Law
- Law School Quinnipiac University School of Law
- Law Degree Juris Doctor Hamden, CT, 1993
- DUI DWI